您现在的位置: 快乐英语网 >> 在线教程 >> 新概念英语在线学习 >> 新概念英语第二册 >> 正文

Lesson 69 But not murder! 并非谋杀!

Lesson 69 But not murder!并非谋杀!
 
    First listen and then answer the question.
    听录音,然后回答以下问题。
    Do you think that the writer passed his driving test? Why?
 
    I was being tested for a driving licence for the third time. I had been asked to drive in heavy traffic and had done so successfully. After having been instructed to drive out of town, I began to acquire confidence. Sure that I had passed, I was almost beginning to enjoy my test. The examiner must have been pleased with my performance, for he smiled and said. 'Just one more thing, Mr.Eames. Let us suppose that a child suddenly crosses the road in front of you. As soon as I tap on the window, you must stop within five feet.' I continued driving and after some time, the examiner tapped loudly, Though the sound could be heard clearly, it took me a long time to react. I suddenly pressed the brake pedal and we were both thrown forward. The examiner looked at me sadly. 'Mr.Eames,' he said, in a mournful voice, 'you have just killed that child!'

New words and expressions 生词和短语

murder  n. 谋杀
instruct  v. 命令,指示
acquire  v. 取得,获得
confidence  n. 信心
examiner  n. 主考人
suppose  v. 假设
tap  v. 轻敲
react  v. 反应
brake  n. 刹车
pedal  n. 踏板
mournful  adj. 悲哀的

参考译文

726. I was being tested for a driving licence for the third time.
        我第3次接受驾驶执照考试。
727. I had been asked to drive in heavy traffic and had done so successfully.
        按照要求在车辆拥挤的路上驾驶,我圆满地完成了。
728. After having been instructed to drive out of town, I began to acquire confidence.
        在接到把车开出城的指令后,我开始有了信心。
729. Sure that I had passed, I was almost beginning to enjoy my test.
        确信我已通过考试,所以我几乎开始喜欢起这次考试。
730. The examiner must have been pleased with my performance, for he smiled and said.
        主考人对我的驾驶想必是满意的,因为他微笑着说:
731. Just one more thing, Mr.Eames.
        “埃姆斯先生,只剩1项了。
732. Let us suppose that a child suddenly crosses the road in front of you.
        让我们假设一个小孩子突然在你前面穿过马路。
733. As soon as I tap on the window, you must stop within five feet.
        我一敲车窗,你必须把车停在5英尺之内。”
734. I continued driving and after some time, the examiner tapped loudly.
        我继续往前开着。过了一会儿,主考人砰砰地敲了起来。
735. Though the sound could be heard clearly, it took me a long time to react.
        虽然声音听得很清楚,但我过了好一会儿才作出反应。
736. I suddenly pressed the brake pedal hard and we were both thrown forward.
        我突然用力踩紧刹车踏板,结果我俩的身体都向前冲去。
737. The examiner looked at me sadly.
        主考人伤心地看着我。
738. 'Mr.Eames,' he said, in a mournful voice, 'you have just killed that child!'
        “埃姆斯先生,”他以悲伤的声调说,“你刚刚把那个小孩压死了!”

回到顶部