您现在的位置: 快乐英语网 >> 口语发音 >> 口语会话 >> 正文

新学期:虎父无犬子 Like Father, Like Son(2)

  Smart Sentences

  ① I feel like a chicken with my head cut off.我觉得有点手足无措。

  a chicken with its head cut off: behave in an erratic way(行为怪异,无目的)。例如:

  Instead of running around like a chicken with your head cut off, you should set your priorities first.

  与其漫无目的地做,还不如先定个轻重缓急。

  ② That guy who could run circles around the rest of the faculty?那个可以说全校最聪明的老师?

  run circles around sb.: smarter than sb.(比某人聪明)。例如:

  My grandma is the only one I can't run circle around in the family.

  在家里,只有奶奶是我斗不过的。

  ③ Smart as a whip, of course.当然非常聪明。

  smart as a whip: unusual and impressive intelligence(极其聪明)。例如:

  I don't understand why your little sister is smart as a whip and you just can't figure this simple question out.

  我真不明白,你妹妹聪明绝顶,而你连这么简单的问题也搞不清楚。

  ④ I hope she doesn't end up carrying his weight for him.我希望她不会一直替他做功课。

  carry sb.'s weight: takes other's responsibility for him/her(承担他人的责任或工作)。例如:

  Don't worry about carrying my weight for me. I can finish this by Thursday.

  你不用担心你需要帮我干活,我周四就可以做完这事。

  ⑤ Well why don't you just wait and see which way the cat jumps on this one?为何你不等等,观望一下事态进展呢?

  see which way the cat jumps: delay a judgement or a decision or an action until you know the result or what other people are going to do(观望形势然后行动; 见风使舵, 随机应变)。例如:

  We shall see which way the cat jumps before deciding which team to join.

  我们应该先观望一下形势再决定让哪个组加入。

  ⑥ You're on.就这么定了。

  you're on: used to confirm what the other just said(用以确认对方的话)。例如:

  —So we meet at the Ryan's at seven, and a movie after dinner?

  那我们七点在莱恩餐厅见,晚饭后看电影?

  —You're on.

  就这么定了。

上一页  [1] [2] 

回到顶部