您现在的位置: 快乐英语网 >> 口语发音 >> 口语会话 >> 正文

新学期:父母的担忧 Letting Go(2)

  Smart Sentences

  ① You're still the most beautiful kid on the block as far as I'm concerned.在我们的圈子里,你仍然是最漂亮的那个。

  kid on the block: sb. in the familiar circle(熟知范围里的人)。例如:

  He is the smartest kid on the block.

  他是我们圈子里最聪明的孩子了。

  ② Thank God Juanita takes after you.感谢上帝,胡安妮塔很像你。

  take after sb.: resemble a family member in appearance, behaviour or character(相像;在相貌、脾气或性格上相似)。例如:

  My aunt is very kind-hearted—she takes after grandma.

  我姨心地善良,很像我姥姥。

  ③ She were taking baby steps instead of diving in with both feet.她慢慢适应,不要太过着急。

  take baby steps: take small steps, being careful (慢慢来,小心谨慎)。例如:

  You should not take too many classes. You should take baby steps in your first semester.

  你不应选太多的课,第一个学期要慢慢来。

  dive in with both feet: become completely involved with sth. quickly(踊跃参加,迅速地全心全意投入)。例如:

  This is exciting, and I think I will dive in with both feet.

  这事儿太棒了,我想我会全身心投入进去的。

  ④ Don't you act like you're as innocent as a lamb.别扮天真了。

  innocent as a lamb: naïve, inexperienced(天真,无辜)。例如:

  He is 25 years old, but innocent as a lamb.

  他虽然已经25岁了,但还是很天真。

  ⑤ I almost flunked out of that Intro to Human Geography class.我差点挂掉了《人文地理学入门》这门课。

  flunk out: fail in a course or an exam(不及格)。例如:

  Because of his alcohol problem, he flunked out of three out of four classes last term.

  他因酗酒问题,上学期四门功课有三门不及格。

  ⑥ Don't let it go to your head, mister.别太得意了,先生。

  let it go to one's head: get too excited about sth.(过于兴奋,得意)。例如:

  Don't let the promotion go to your head. Your boss has a nasty reputation.

  别为晋升一事太得意了,你的上司名声很差。

上一页  [1] [2] 

回到顶部